We don’t have a vital interest in Iraq, and when the Status of Forces Agreement was denied– he did what he had to do, which was get out, and come home.
Should we have gone in, in the first place? No!
We wouldn’t be in this mess, John, if we hadn’t gone in there under Bush and the neoconservatives and, frankly, Hillary Rodham Clinton.
To avoid future quagmires, MFP presents the MFP Doctrine:
(1) If we are unwilling to firebomb cities into rubble– as we did in Germany and Japan– then we should stay the hell out.
(2) Post-World War II-esque nation-building– which requires the total subjugation of the local populace– is no longer feasible, given America’s:
– Lack of social cohesion
– Increasingly polarized political landscape
– Willingness to criticize the war effort
– and increasing concern for the rights of foreigners.